One of the most common neurological conditions that most dog parents report is seizures.
Various factors can cause your dog to have seizures.
The first one is toxicity or poisoning; usually, something that your pup might have eaten.
The second factor can be organ diseases like liver disease or kidney failure. The next thing can be epilepsy.
You can effectively help your dog manage seizures with the best dog food seizures.
But with so many options on the market, it can be challenging for some dog parents to find the ideal nutrition. So, in our top selections, we have considered all the important nutrients.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Dry Dog Food is our top pick. This delicious meal is highly digestible and supports optimal nutrient absorption.
It is enriched with hydrolyzed protein, which is great for dogs with food allergies and sensitivities.
- The Best Dog Foods with Seizure
- Purina Pro Plan Vet Diets HA Hydrolyzed Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support D Canned Dog Food
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hepatic Canned Dog Food
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Things to Consider When Looking for Dog Foods for Seizures
- Final Thoughts
The Best Dog Foods with Seizure
Purina Pro Plan Vet Diets HA Hydrolyzed Dry Dog Food
This veterinary diet is formulated with hydrolyzed protein sources to help manage dogs with seizures.
It is a great option for reducing the risk of allergic reactions.
- Hydrolyzed proteins
- Low-allergen carbohydrate
- Medium-chain triglycerides
- Omega 6 fatty acids
- Vitamin A and vitamin E
The first thing that we like about this diet is the fact that it is made of hydrolyzed proteins, which is great because they go undetected by your pup’s immune system.
This helps to avoid allergic reactions that could otherwise trigger seizures.
The formula contains one source of carbohydrate, which is low-allergen and highly digestible, making it ideal for dogs with seizures.
The medium-chain triglycerides provide your pooch with highly digestible fats for energy.
The diet is rich in vitamin E, which is a good defense against oxidative damage. Vitamin E is important for fat metabolism and cell function.
It also contains omega 6 fatty acids that your dog needs for immune function and healthy skin and coat.
- Hydrolyzed proteins do not trigger allergic reactions
- Highly digestible low-allergen carbohydrate
- Has a good defense against oxidative damage
- Helps boost immune function and skin and coat health
- Has a great taste and palatability for picky eaters
- Quality control seems to be an issue with some bags
- Some picky eaters may refuse the texture of the food
This is a high-quality diet made of premium and hypoallergenic ingredients. But make sure you receive a bag with no quality control issues.
Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care Dry Dog Food
Kidney failure can so easily cause your pooch to have seizures.
So, you can help her manage and prevent kidney problems with this kidney care diet from Hill’s Prescription.
- Premium quality protein
- Enhanced appetite trigger
- Essential amino acids
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Therapeutic levels of L-carnitine
The diet contains targeted levels of premium quality protein that helps your dog’s liver regenerate and prevent seizures.
The first ingredient in this recipe is brown rice, which is great because it is highly digestible and so nutritious.
It provides your pooch with B vitamins, vitamin D, riboflavin, iron, and calcium.
The food is also packed with Brewers rice, which is a good source of easily digestible carbohydrates and fiber.
It has high levels of L-carnitine. This amino acid nutrient supports heart health and helps with valproic acid toxicity.
The food is also integrated with enhanced appetite trigger technology to help improve the appetite of your pooch.
- Good quality protein helps the liver regenerate
- It supports your pup’s ability to build lean muscle
- Superior levels of essential amino acids to help with muscle protein
- High L-carnitine levels improve heart health
- Fortified with powerful antioxidants to help boost immune health
- The price tag is a little bit high
- Some kibbles may come with questionable palatability
This is a great diet for kidney care and seizure prevention. The diet is formulated by veterinarians to provide targeted nutrients.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Ultamino Dry Dog Food
If you are looking for a therapeutic diet that is highly palatable and digestible to help your dog manage seizures, then look no further than the Ultamino from Royal Canin.
- Low molecular weight peptides
- Long-chain omega 3 fatty acids
- Amino acids and B vitamins
- EPA and DHA
The diet is prepared with low molecular weight peptides, which is great because they support gastrointestinal health in pups with food sensitivities.
It is packed with prebiotics and fibers to boost digestive tract health and stool quality.
The recipe is fortified with a synergistic complex of powerful antioxidants that help improve cellular health.
The first ingredient in this diet is cornstarch. This ingredient is less allergenic compared to cornflour.
Cornstarch supplies your pup with natural antioxidants, carbohydrates, protein, and essential fatty acids.
The diet is also fortified with hydrolyzed proteins, which does a great job of minimizing allergenic exposure by breaking down the dietary proteins to a size below that is required to trigger cross-linking.
- Low molecular weight peptides are suitable for food sensitivities
- Powerful antioxidants support superior cellular health
- Hydrolyzed proteins reduce allergenic exposure
- Spots highly digestible and less allergenic carbohydrates for energy
- Packed with essential nutrients to minimize skin irritation
- A veterinarian recommendation is required to buy the food
- The price tag may be a little bit high for some dog parents
Have you been looking for a diet that will help your dog manage seizures, sensitivities, and allergies?
Look no further than this great recipe from Royal Canin.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support D Canned Dog Food
If your dog has kidney challenges that may be triggering seizures, you can help her manage the condition with this great renal support diet from Royal Canin.
- Water sufficient
- High-quality protein
- Fatty acids
- Precise antioxidant complex
- Low phosphorus level
This diet has an adapted content of high-quality protein from premium sources, helping to reduce the workload of your dog’s kidney.
It achieves this by reducing the production of waste products that the kidney needs to get rid of.
The recipe has low levels of phosphorus, which is great because your kidney will have less phosphorus to regulate.
This food is water sufficient, making it great for your pup’s digestive tract. Water does a great job of breaking down food and improving nutrient absorption.
This ensures that your four-legged friend has all the nutrients she needs to manage seizures.
This formula is fortified with soft morsels to encourage your dog to eat. It is also packed with a precise antioxidant complex and fatty acids to help improve the overall immune health.
- High-quality protein reduces the kidney’s workload
- Low phosphorus levels ensure your pup’s kidney function optimally
- It is water sufficient to support healthy digestion
- Enriched with soft morsels to improve palatability
- Fatty acids help control inflammation and improve skin health
- The price range may be slightly high for some dog parents
- The texture and smell may be rejected by some picky eaters
Have you observed any dermatological health signs from your dog and she has seizures? This renal support canned diet can help.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hepatic Canned Dog Food
Does your dog have liver problems that may be triggering seizures? You can help her manage the condition and live healthy with this good nutrition from Royal Canin.
- Highly digestible proteins
- Restricted copper levels
- Ascorbic acid
- Vitamin E
This is a vet-recommended diet, which means you need your dog’s veterinarian’s approval or prescription.
This canned dog food is packed with high-quality proteins with a good proportion of fat. So, it is great for managing seizures in epileptic canines.
The food is water sufficient to help support a healthy digestive tract and urinary system.
The diet features hydrolyzed chicken liver that is rich in low molecular weight peptides that are easily absorbed without triggering an allergic reaction.
This unique protein source has optimal amounts of amino acids and B vitamins that help reinforce the skin barrier of your pup.
We appreciate the presence of powerful vitamins in this diet like vitamin E and B vitamins.
Vitamin E has a good anticonvulsant effect in epileptic dogs and it helps prevent recurrent canine seizures.
- High-quality protein improves seizure management in dogs
- Hydrolyzed proteins are ideal for sensitive epileptic pups
- Vitamin E is highly anticonvulsant and helps prevent recurrent seizures
- Helps reinforce the skin barrier of your dog
- The high water content helps improve digestion and urinary system health
- Some picky eaters may not like the texture and taste of the food
- It requires you to have a prescription from your pup’s vet
Successfully managing liver issues in your dog can help prevent seizures. This therapeutic nutrition from Royal Canin has proven to be a reliable solution.
Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This is a great diet that will help your small breed dog manage seizures. It is also a great diet for improving teeth, bones, and joint health.
- High protein
- Optimal levels of calcium and phosphorous
- Omega fatty acids
- Glucosamine and chondroitin
- Vitamin E
This amazing recipe combines freeze-dried raw and high protein kibble in one bag, which is great because you are feeding your dog an all-natural, minimally processed food.
Your pup will be able to manage seizures and overcome other issues.
This recipe starts with real meat (duck). This delicious ingredient supplies your pup with high-quality protein, omega 3 fatty acids, healthy fats, antioxidants, and iron.
A good proportion of healthy fats help manage seizures. The diet is fortified with vitamin E, which is a good anticonvulsant.
Optimal levels of phosphorus and calcium support strong teeth and bones.
Chondroitin and glucosamine; on the other hand, help improve mobility and joint health.
The diet is also rich in vitamin B12 which supports brain function and a healthy nervous system.
This helps in the control of seizures in epileptic pups.
- The food is minimally processed and highly nutritious
- High-quality proteins help manage seizures in epileptic dogs
- Vitamin E is naturally anticonvulsant and helps prevent a recurrence
- Great for strengthening teeth and bones and supporting joint health
- Vitamin B12 improves brain function to help control seizures
- The raw texture and taste may be rejected by picky eaters
- Quality control may be an issue with some bags
Do you want to help your pup manage her seizures while developing stronger teeth and bones? Consider this great grain-free diet from Instinct.
Things to Consider When Looking for Dog Foods for Seizures
Dietary management for dogs with seizures is dependent upon the underlying diagnosis.
Here are the most important things to consider:
High protein diet
High-quality proteins that are packed with healthy fats have proven to be effective in controlling seizures.
Some diets may contain one protein source, whereas hypoallergenic meals contain hydrolyzed protein sources that have been broken down into polypeptides.
Although more expensive and less palatable, hydrolyzed meals are particularly beneficial to dogs with seizures.
When feeding a dog with seizures you need to pay close attention to the cause of the seizures.
This way, you will be able to choose targeted nutrition that will help deal with the underlying cause.
Some of the best-targeted diets for dogs with seizures are kidney function and gastroenteric formulas.
Just make sure the diet you choose features a specific nutrient profile that will meet your pup’s unique nutritional requirements.
The winner of this roundup is Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA Hydrolyzed Dry Dog Food.
This diet contains hydrolyzed proteins, which is great because they go easy on sensitive digestive systems.
The nutrition is specifically prepared to be highly digestible. This helps promote superior absorption in pups with seizures.
It is a targeted diet that provides multiple nutritional benefits specifically tailored to a variety of pooches with special needs.
The unique nutrient profile of this food will provide your dog with all that she needs to manage and prevent seizures.
Now she can enjoy great-tasting nourishment with a therapeutic purpose.