Last Updated on 08/20/2021 by Veronica Jones
Calcium deficiency seizures in dogs and cats, although not a common disease, can seriously affect the health of animals if they are not treated promptly. The disease manifests itself as a symptom of seizure due to a decrease in blood calcium content; occurs before and after childbirth, even until weaning. With the characteristics of a factor that causing a seizure, systemic paralysis, there are 2 common types: seizure before giving birth and seizure after giving childbirth.
Cause of the disease
1. The period before giving birth
- Diets are deficient in Ca and P or inadequate Ca / P ratio.
- The level of Ca++ in the blood decreases due to endocrine system dysfunction, especially the parathyroid glands.
2. The period before giving birth
- During pregnancy, nutrients from the body of dogs and cats must be mobilized to the maximum to form the body for the baby. Especially the skeleton formation requires a lot of Ca and P.
- On the other hand, mother dogs and cats have to secrete breast milk, which has a relatively high Ca ++ content. Therefore, the phenomenon of milk fever and the seizure occurs very commonly at this stage.
Symptoms of calcium deficiency in dogs and cats
- Animals fidgety standing, walking with difficulty, unsteady standing, unsteady walking; sometimes lying flat, muscles trembling, not being able to stand up.
- High fever, restlessness, vomiting, gasping for breath, drooling.
- The above symbols can last for a few hours. If there is no timely treatment, it will cause muscle atrophy, eventually, the anaemia could lead to death.
- During 2 – 4 days after giving childbirth, the disease suddenly develops with acute symbols: dogs and cats twitching their hind legs, trembling, turning disoriented, and then paralyzing completely.
- Shortness of breath, the muscles vibrating continuously, and then seizure happen.
- In a slight form, pets have symptoms such as a dry nose, moving unsteady, stop eating. If the owner does not detect in time, it could lead to paralysis of muscles; with bad consequences later.
- Dog’s leg can be lowered due to a lack of calcium.
Read more >>> Symptoms and Diagnosis of Care Disease in Dogs ( Febris Catarrhalis Infectiosa Canum)
Treatment of calcium deficiency seizures in dogs and cats
How to first aid when cats and dogs have a low calcium level
- Inject calcium gluconate or calcium chloride solution at a dose of 3 – 5ml / head, continuously for 3-5 days. Intravenous injection with dogs and intramuscular injection with cats.
- In addition, you can use drugs to treat paralytic including 1 tube of calcium gluconate, 1 tube of vitamin B. Mixing 2 tubes, and then injecting a dose of 10ml / dog, 5ml / cat per day.
- Support and power:
- Cordial with caffeine 5% dose 2-3ml / child, camphor in water form 5%, dose 2-3ml / child when their temperature decrease.
- Vitamin B1, dose 5ml / dog, 3ml / cat, intramuscular injection.
- Vitamin C 5% dose 5ml / dog, 3ml / cat, intramuscular injection.
Some herbal remedies
- Bone powder 50g, soybean powder 30g, fish or shrimp powder 30g, milk powder 50g. Mix well and put in the dog’s daily meal, 5 – 10g per day, feed continuously for 10-15 days.
- Rub Concha Ostreae to powder then mix with food at a dose of 20g / day, feed continuously for 10-15 days.
Prevention of calcium deficiency seizure in dogs and cats
- If there is a plan for the pet to be pregnant, the owner should add enough nutrients, vitamins and minerals, especially Ca and P in the post-breeding and prenatal period. Sunbathing to increase the metabolism of vitamin D which help in absorbing Ca, P.
- Pet diets should include bone powder, shellfish to supplement minerals passively.
Vetguru hopes this article has provided useful information about calcium deficiency seizures in dogs and cats, as well as how to take care of your pets. We specialize in providing a system of equipment for early diagnosis and early detection of diseases in dogs and cats for accurate results right at your farm..