Salmon, especially wild-caught, is one of the most common sources of protein and fatty acids. Aside from that, it is also low in saturated fat, which makes it ideal for weight loss and a healthy diet.
Nowadays, salmon is now included in dog food as an alternative to other meat. If your vet advised a no-chicken diet or if your dog is just sensitive to other types of meat, salmon (and other similar wild fish) are great sources of protein for your pet.
- Best Salmon Flavor Dog Foods Reviews
- 1. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
- 2. Taste of the Wild Real Fish Premium Dry Dog Food
- 3. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
- 4. Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Real Salmon and Potato Recipe
- 5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- 6. CANIDAE Petite Small Breed Wet Dog Food
- 7. Wellness Core Natural Dry Dog Food Ocean Whitefish, Herring & Salmon
- 8. Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Dog Food
- Things We Considered Before Buying
Best Salmon Flavor Dog Foods Reviews
If you want an alternative protein source for your pet, here are our top picks for the best salmon dog food:
1. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
With salmon and whitefish as the first ingredients, the CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food is a grain-free option that dogs with sensitive stomachs will love. Moreover, it contains no corn, wheat, or soy so it won’t have unnecessary fillers to deal with. Made with 34% protein, this mix has carbohydrate sources such as peas.
You have different bag options for this (22, 12, and 4-pound bags). Among its good ingredients are alfalfa, beet, and lentils, which will help with your dog’s immune system and coat health. We also like that it has calcium that will help with Fido’s bone strength.
While it does have chicken meat and fat, it still doesn’t contain by-products such as the feet and head so it’s safe for most dogs. If your dog tends to have itchy skin, you might want to try this food mix due to the presence of omega fatty acids in the fish ingredients.
- Omega fatty acids for coat health
- 34% protein
- Antioxidants from veggies
- No by-products
- Not for dogs with chicken allergies
- The kibble size is not for large dogs
2. Taste of the Wild Real Fish Premium Dry Dog Food
From one of the best brands out there, the Taste of the Wild Real Fish Premium Dry Dog Food is a canine recipe that includes smoked salmon, so it might be a good formula to feed dogs who prefer smoked meat. It is gluten-free for those who are concerned and we like that the salmon is sustainably-sourced to make sure it is environment-friendly.
The salmon contains protein and omega fatty acids so your dog gets strong muscles with a shiny coat at the same time. Added to that, it has the K9 strain probiotics that will help with your dog’s tummy issues. Ideal for adult dogs, if your pet is sensitive to eggs, this is a mix that you might want to have.
Moreover, its prebiotic fiber for a healthier digestive system comes from dried chicory root. In addition to that, legumes, veggies, and fruits, such as peas, tomatoes, blueberries, and the like are great antioxidants coming from this dog food.
- Has probiotics
- Wild-caught salmon
- Balanced veggies, fruits, and legumes
- Omega fatty acids
- Gluten-free and grain-free
- Some dogs can get slightly gassy
- Pricier than most dog foods
3. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
The Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet is a mix that contains salmon and potato while being grain-free in its content. If your dog is on a limited diet such as a no-chicken plan, this is a dog food mix they might like. It contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for better skin and coat health while vitamins E and C will help boost their immune system.
In addition to that, it has pea fiber and pumpkin, which will aid with their digestion. The mix contains no eggs, corn, dairy, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, and no preservatives so it is suitable for dogs with sensitive tummies. Ideal for adult dogs, this one comes in various sizes of 4, 11, and 22-lb. bags.
Because the kibble is cold-formed to preserve potency, it will be packed with the right amount of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals for your dog to easily digest. Aside from having no chicken, it also has no beef for dogs with sensitivities. And of course, it also has no by-product meals.
- Has omega fatty acids for coat and skin health
- Grain-free and uses potato as an alternative
- Free from preservatives, eggs, corn, and the like
- Comes in various sizes
- Chicken-free and beef-free
- On the pricier side
- May not appeal to certain picky eaters
4. Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Real Salmon and Potato Recipe
For dogs with dull coat problems, the Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat Real Salmon and Potato Recipe is a good choice for you. Ideal for all life stages (puppy, adult, and senior), this is a combination of salmon for protein and potato as its carbohydrate source. We like that it is grain-free while the amino acids will help with strong muscles, especially for young dogs.
Aside from that, it has antioxidants for a healthy immune system and fatty acids for the skin and coat of your dog. Made without corn, wheat, fillers, and artificial ingredients, this dog food has 25% crude protein and only 14% crude fat.
For added digestive benefits, it has 4.5% fiber while the presence of vitamins A, E, selenium, and zinc will boost their immune system. We like that it also has probiotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Bacillus subtilis, etc.) for a healthy gut, especially for dogs who tend to have GI problems.
- Real salmon is the first ingredient
- For all life stages
- Has vitamins and minerals
- No fillers
- Has probiotics
- Could produce bad breath in dogs
- A bit on the pricey side
5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food
Ideal for big dogs, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Large Breed Dry Dog Food is made with real salmon that is of high protein to help with muscle growth and development for your dog – ideal for sporty ones. With omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for a shiny coat and skin, this one also comes with its unique Life Source bits – crunchy antioxidants that your dog might like.
As with most Blue Buffalo products, the kibble pieces are cold-formed to preserve their potency and keep the nutrients inside well-packed. Aside from salmon as the main ingredient, comprising 30% of protein, this dog food also comes with blueberries and cranberries for antioxidants.
In addition to that, it has no chicken so those dogs with poultry allergies will like this food. Likewise, it has glucosamine, EPA, and chondroitin so it is ideal for dogs that are prone to joint health problems, especially if they are active.
- Chicken-free for allergic dogs
- No by-products
- Omega fatty acids for coat health
- High in protein for muscles
- Has glucosamine and chondroitin
- Not egg-free
- Might not work for some picky eaters
6. CANIDAE Petite Small Breed Wet Dog Food
For the smaller ones, the CANIDAE Petite Small Breed Wet Dog Food is for your pet if they want to go on a fish diet with a little twist.
It is a combination of salmon and shrimp and is a wet dog food that can be fed on its own or mixed with dry and other kinds of food served. With no fillers or artificial ingredients, its salmon and shrimp are the primary ingredients while coupled with veggies like pumpkin and carrots. Likewise, it has no meat by-products and no corn, wheat, or soy.
Each small diner pack is at 3.5 ounces and the ingredients do not include soy or carrageenan – great news for canines that are allergic to such. It also has vitamins and minerals for immunity, as well as antioxidants. On the other hand, the included fatty acids (from the fish ingredient) will help with your dog’s skin and coat health.
- Combines salmon and shrimp
- No fillers and preservatives
- Has fatty acids
- No meat by-products
- Slightly pricier than most wet food
- The can is a little difficult to open
7. Wellness Core Natural Dry Dog Food Ocean Whitefish, Herring & Salmon
Yet another fish diet food, the Wellness Core Natural Dry Dog Food Ocean Whitefish, Herring & Salmon is a mix that contains no fillers or preservatives. The flaxseed and salmon oil are the key ingredients to its fatty acids and antioxidants. In addition to that, to maintain good health for your dog if they have a sensitive stomach, it has no meat by-products.
Available in 4-lb. and 26-lb. bags as of this time in writing, it has omega fatty acids for keeping your dog’s coat shiny while the prebiotics and probiotics will aid their digestive system. What’s more, it is a non-GMO food based on its ingredients.
Likewise, it is also free from gluten, wheat, corn, and soy. We like that it has a plethora of veggies and fruits, such as kale, carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, blueberries, parsley, apples, and more. These will add vitamins and minerals to enhance your dog’s overall health.
- Has probiotics for sensitive tummies
- No fillers or preservatives
- A wide range of veggies and fruits
- Omega fatty acids for coat health
- Used canola oil instead of salmon oil
- Used dried instead of fresh potato
8. Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Dog Food
With no added grains, the Amazon Brand – Wag Dry Dog Food is yet another pack where real salmon is the first ingredient. With 35% protein inside the mix, it is made in the USA for quality and is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and DHA.
These fatty acids are good for your dog’s skin and coat health while DHA is important for growing puppies to enhance their cognitive development. Moreover, DHA is also for your dog’s eye health. With no grains or added flavors, this dog food also has probiotics for better gut health.
Among its vitamins and minerals including vitamin E, selenium, and zinc, which will be helpful for your dog’s immune system. What’s more, it has only 15% fat and 5.5% fiber for added ease during digestion. Because the brand makes its formulas and ingredients from California, USA, it is a local brand that you can support.
- Has probiotics for gut health
- Omega fatty acids and DHA
- No added grains
- Made in the USA
- Less expensive than most dog food brands
- The kibble might be too big for smaller dogs
- Could easily crumble during shipment
Things We Considered Before Buying
If you want to choose the best salmon dog food for your dog, here are some factors to help you decide (which also helped us pick the choices above):
- Wild-caught. The number one rule in choosing the best salmon dog food is to pick one that is sustainably-sourced and not something that is farmed.
- Grain-free. A grain-free type of diet works best on most dogs because they will absorb more nutrients and fewer fillers.
- No artificial preservatives. Compared to regular and cheap commercial food, high-quality dog food contains little to no artificial ingredients, which means more nutrition for your pet.
- Your dog’s age. Consider your dog’s age when you are deciding on the best salmon dog food, whether it’s for puppies, adults, seniors, or all life stages.
- Wet vs. dry recipe. Dry dog food is the most commonly-purchased type due to its ease of storage. However, it also helps to give them wet dog food for hydration.
To wrap it up, by giving your dog the best salmon dog food, you are essentially giving them access to a healthier and shinier coat plus protein that’s not from the usual chicken or typical meat products. As long as the food is sustainably-sourced, you are assuring Fido that you will give them a high-quality meal, especially if they have sensitive stomach issues. We hope you liked our picks for the best salmon dog food!