Highly-loved by celebrities and pet owners due to their long coat, the Yorkshire Terrier, affectionately known as the “Yorkie”, is a toy breed that is known for being affectionate to their owners. For those who don’t have enough patience, Yorkies are often easier to train than others and are smart dogs.
However, when it comes to health, feeding them quality food will help them live longer and steer clear from illnesses. That’s why it is important to find the best dog food for Yorkshire Terrier if you own this breed. Worry not – we’ve written a review of some suggested picks that will help your pet get the right nutrition they need.
- Dog Food For Yorkshire Terrier Reviews
- Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Dry Dog Food
- Cesar Small Breed Dry & Wet Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Bites
- Hill’s Science Diet 12-Pack Wet Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food
- Taste of The Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed
- Things to Considered Before Buying
Dog Food For Yorkshire Terrier Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best dog food for Yorkshire Terrier:
Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult Breed Specific Dry Dog Food
Our first choice is the Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Adult Breed Specific Dry Dog Food. This Yorkie formula is available in 10-lb. and 2.5-lb. variants and is appropriate for Yorkshire Terriers that are 10 months or older.
The shape is small enough and easy to chew for this small breed and it also contains a mix of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to keep up your Yorkie’s smooth and silky coat. In addition to that, it even has biotin, which is found in most organic shampoos and is helpful for long-coated dogs.
Among its nutrients include vitamins C, E, and B-vitamins for your dog’s energy and immunity. Royal Canin is a brand that’s often seen in pet stores and recommended by vets so it is a good choice for first-time dog owners. If your Yorkshire Terrier tends to scratch their coat often, this is a dog food that your vet will likely recommend due to its fatty acids for better skin health.
- Tailor-made kibble size for Yorkies
- Has biotin and fatty acids for a smooth coat
- Recommended by most vets
- Packed with nutrients
- Not gluten-free
- Not for dogs with chicken allergies
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Dry Dog Food
If you want a grain-free mix for your Yorkie, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Adult Dry Dog Food is an option for you. This one is free from wheat and soy while the chicken meat is the first ingredient. Available in various bag sizes, it doesn’t contain any by-products so you’re assured that your dog only gets quality protein content. Cranberries included in the dog food for a Yorkshire Terrier will help your dog’s immune system thanks to the antioxidants.
As with most Blue Buffalo dog foods, this one contains Life Source Bits, which are crunchy little additions that have minerals and vitamins to support your dog’s well-being. What’s more, it has omega 3 & 6 fatty acids so it is ideal for keeping your Yorkie’s long coat healthy and strong.
Containing 34% of crude protein, this one is ideal for active dogs while the 400 mg glucosamine is for those who often suffer from joint problems. Adding to that, it has 1.4% calcium to help strengthen your dog’s bones while the crude fiber at 6% will aid in your dog’s digestion.
- High-protein for energy
- Has omega fatty acids for coat health
- Has glucosamine for joint health
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Inconsistent kibble coloring
- Not for dogs with chicken allergies
Cesar Small Breed Dry & Wet Dog Food
Ideal for Yorkshire Terriers and similar-sized canines, the Cesar Small Breed Dry & Wet Dog Food is a filet mignon mix with real beef as the first ingredient. Because it has tender meat pieces, it will be easy to eat up and digest for your Yorkshire Terrier. Available in different sizes, this dog food has 26 nutrients that will supply your Yorkie with their healthy lifestyle.
Because the bag can be resealed, it is simpler to store in case your dog doesn’t finish up all of their food. Made in the USA, this crunchy kibble has fun pieces that will also clean up your dog’s teeth and promote healthy gums.
With a mix of crunchy outsides and soft pieces inside, this will help in promoting healthier gums for your Yorkshire Terrier. It is also a dog food brand that’s not too harsh on the wallet so it is also a great choice for beginner pet owners.
- A mix of crunchy and soft bits
- Easy to digest for Yorkshire Terriers
- The package can be resealed
- Has fish oil to maintain a healthy coat
- Not enough vegetables aside from the meat
- Not entirely grain-free
Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food, Adult, Small Bites
The Hill’s Science Diet Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food fits the Yorkshire Terrier’s jaws because of the small 9.5-mm kibble size. It contains chicken and barley for its recipe and is made with omega 6 fatty acids for a healthy and shiny coat. Due to the included natural fibers from the veggies, dogs that often have digestion problems will feel at ease.
As a vet-recommended brand, it contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Along with chicken meat, it also has healthy fruits and veggies, such as broccoli, carrots, cranberries, apples, and green peas for antioxidants and healthier digestion.
It is only at 11.5% of crude fat which is ideal for dogs that are trying to reduce weight or at least lessen weight gain. Dogs that are picky eaters will like this one due to the smell and taste. What’s more, it has a bit of vitamin E that will help with your dog’s skin.
- The small kibble size makes it easy to eat
- Has natural fibers
- Low on fat
- Ideal for picky eaters
- No preservatives
- Not gluten-free
- Not for dogs on a chicken-free diet
Hill’s Science Diet 12-Pack Wet Dog Food
If you are looking for something to mix with your dry kibble then the Hill’s Science Diet 12-Pack Wet Dog Food is a good choice for your Yorkshire Terrier. It has two varieties: one with savory stew, beef, and vegetables, and one with chicken instead of beef, so your dog can choose. This would be ideal for homes with multiple dogs and especially if some of those dogs are allergic to chicken.
Each of them has at least 2% fiber so it is good for dogs that have tummy upsets. The small cuts will be easy to feed for your Yorkie and it also has a good smell compared to most brands, making it ideal for picky eaters.
Moreover, the omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E will help your Yorkie’s skin and coat to stand out healthier and shinier. In addition to that, it has antioxidants coming from included veggies such as carrots, peas, spinach, and the like. We like that it also comes with biotin which will help in your dog’s long coat maintenance.
- Contains omega fatty acids for a healthy coat
- Has fiber for digestion
- Has beef and chicken varieties
- Ideal for multiple dogs at home
- Small sizes that are easy to eat
- The container is messy when opening
- Has too much sauce or water
Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food
The Eukanuba Adult Small Bites Dry Dog Food is also a considerable choice for the Yorkshire Terrier thanks to the kibble design. Made for dogs that are 12 months or older, this one has DHA for improving brain function and vitamin E for healthier skin and coat. Since the kibble is small, it fits small-muzzled Yorkies just fine.
Chicken is the first ingredient and the crunchy bits will help in gum cleaning. What’s more, it has calcium that will help strengthen your dog’s bones. Likewise, its fiber content is 3.8% that is a digestion aide for your Yorkshire Terrier.
Since it contains 25% protein, it is sufficient for dogs that have an active lifestyle. Moreover, since it contains glucosamine, it will aid your Yorkshire Terrier if they ever get joint problems in the future. This is also another brand of dog food to try if you’re trying not to break the bank but want to give your pet the right nutrition.
- The bites are small and easy to digest
- Has sufficient fiber
- High in protein
- Gum-cleaning crunchy bits
- Has vitamin E for skin and coat
- Not grain-free
- Not for dogs on a chicken-free diet
Taste of The Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed
If your dog is on a chicken-free diet, why not try the Taste of The Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed? This one is made with real venison as the first ingredient and has 32% protein for strong muscles – ideal for active dogs.
Yorkshire Terriers will also benefit from the fatty acids that will make their coat shiny and healthy. Likewise, it has antioxidants from veggies and fruits and it is also grain-free without preservatives, artificial colors, and the like that are unnecessary for your pet.
Added to that, it has probiotics that will support your dog’s GI tract and the garbanzo beans will be a great source of protein, minerals, and fiber. The small size of the kibble makes it easy to chew for the Yorkshire Terrier and similar breeds. This dog food is available in different bag sizes and also contains DHA from salmon oil for your dog’s cognitive development and eye health.
- Has probiotics for gut health
- Real venison is the first ingredient
- No preservatives
- More expensive than commercial dog food brands
- Not for dogs with egg allergies
Things to Considered Before Buying
Before choosing the best dog food for Yorkshire Terrier, you do have to consider the following criteria (as we used these as a guideline, too):
- Your dog’s age. A Yorkie who is an adult might have different needs compared to pups and seniors, especially when it comes to fat and carbohydrate content.
- Active lifestyle. Yorkies are active dogs so they need a lot of calories, somewhere between 150 and 200 depending on how active your dog is.
- No by-products or fillers. This is especially important if your Yorkie has a sensitive stomach. Consider a grain-free option or as recommended by your vet – just go for a mix that has no by-products or fillers.
- Smaller-sized bits. The Yorkshire Terrier is a toy breed so it makes sense to give them small kibble or at least food that is easier to chew to avoid problems like hypoglycemia or low blow sugar levels.
- Tummy-friendly ingredients. Yorkies are known to have sensitive stomachs so it will help to have dog food that is already filled with probiotics for their GI tract. Aside from that, a dog food mix that is rich in fiber will help them easily digest the bits.
If your dog is allergic to certain food groups, such as grain, gluten, chicken, egg, dairy, soy, and the like, look for products that do not contain them.
- Ingredients for a shiny coat. This includes omega fatty acids, which are commonly found in salmon oil, fish, and even flaxseed. Such fatty acids will help nourish your dog’s coat and skin, which is a top priority for maintaining a Yorkshire Terrier.
In addition to that, Yorkies can also gain better “hair” health from foods that have biotin in them (a common ingredient in organic shampoos), as well as vitamin E for skin health.
To sum it up, the best dog food for Yorkshire Terrier is one that has sufficient nutrients without breaking the bank and without putting too many fillers. We all know that keeping any dog or pet might take its toll on our wallet but if we shop smarter, we’ll know which food is more appropriate for our Yorkie to help them eat better. We hope you liked our top picks for the best dog food for the Yorkshire Terrier!