Last Updated on 08/20/2021 by Veronica Jones
Puggles are being a pug and beagle cross breed, are great family dogs. However, one of the problems with them is that they have a tendency to eat too much, which leads to health problems like obesity. Therefore, controlling their diet is crucial for you, as a pet owner.
That’s why we wrote about the best dog food for puggles to help you choose the one for your pet. Puggles are also known for other problems such as hip dysplasia and immune system weakness and that’s why we handpicked some ideal food choices for them.
7 Best Food for Puggles Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best dog food for puggles:
1. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein
For older dogs, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein is a decent choice due to its healthy carbohydrate sources, such as sweet potatoes and peas instead of grain and fillers. Chicken is the first ingredient to help your senior dog to keep up their muscle mass.
It has omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that will maintain your dog’s coat shiny and healthy. What’s more, it has antioxidants in the form of Life Source bits, which are not only crunchy for your dog but are also good for their immune system. Added to that, it has joint health benefits due to the inclusion of glucosamine and chondroitin.
Among the veggies and fruits that we saw in the ingredients are alfalfa, chicory root, peas, flaxseed, barley grass, kelp, parsley, pomegranate, spinach, turmeric, apples, blackberries, cranberries, carrots, pumpkins, and blueberries. Due to the composition of this formula, your puggle, especially for seniors, will less likely get overweight due to the low-carb and low-fat content.
- Has a mix of veggies and fruits for antioxidants
- Grain-free formulation
- Has omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for coat health
- Includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Some dogs might be allergic to the formula
- Slightly pricier than regular dog food
2. AvoDerm Natural All Life Stages Dry & Wet Dog Food
The AvoDerm Natural All Life Stages Dry & Wet Dog Food is a grain-free option that contains salmon as the first ingredient and the source of protein. It also has a couple of veggies in the recipe to help with your dog’s immune system due to the antioxidants.
It is free from soy, corn, grain, artificial ingredients, and preservatives so it is good for sensitive puggles. For dogs that are suffering from dull skin and coat, its avocado content will help with that. What’s more, the recipe comes with antioxidants due to the veggies such as garbanzo beans, peas, tomatoes, flaxseed, alfalfa, kelp, and the like.
We like that this mix also has calcium, which is crucial for dogs such as puggles that are often prone to bad knees. To be exact, it has 1.46% calcium for their bone health. Another plus point with this recipe is that it doesn’t have a strong or off-putting odor.
- Free from grain
- Salmon is the first ingredient
- Has veggies for antioxidants
- With avocado for a healthier coat and skin
- Has calcium for bones
- No indication or conformation if the salmon was wild-caught or farmed
- Minor packaging issues during delivery
3. Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Dry Dog Food
If your vet recommended your dog for a weight loss program, they might suggest Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Dry Dog Food. Available in different bag sizes, this lamb and rice meal can help dogs lose up to 13% of their body weight in as little as 2 months with proper exercise and feeding.
Because it has amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, it will help with your dog’s immune system while the natural fiber will help them digest the food easier. Like most of the dog foods out there, it has peas, beets, dried tomato, and flaxseed for its source of antioxidants and carbohydrates.
Another plus factor that makes it a weight loss dog food is the inclusion of L-Carnitine, which will help burn fat. The dog food has 28.4% protein and only 12.3% fat so it is ideal for weight management. What’s more, for dogs that have bone issues, it does have a bit of calcium at 0.97%.
- Great for overweight dogs
- Has antioxidants
- Contains lamb as the first ingredient
- A little on the pricey side
- Can only be bought with a vet prescription
4. Amazon Brand Wag Dry Dog Food
Another option you can try is the Amazon Brand Wag Dry Dog Food due to having no added grains. Containing salmon oil and flaxseed with omega 3 and 6, this will help with your puggle’s coat health. The antioxidants included come from peas and lentils to balance your dog’s diet. It has protein at 35% that comes from real Australian lamb as the first ingredient.
Since this recipe is made in California, USA, it is made of quality ingredients. It has salmon oil as its fatty acid source, helping with maintaining a shiny coat. In addition to that, it has probiotics that will help with your dog’s digestive health. For the tummy-friendly ingredients, it has flaxseed, beet, and chicory root.
If your dog is a picky eater with other grain-free food, this one might do the trick due to its good flavor. Moreover, if your dog has gas problems, this is a dog food that will help them lessen farting due to the grain-free formulation.
- Grain-free for sensitive stomachs
- Has omega fatty acids for coat health
- Made in the USA
- Australian lamb is the first ingredient
- Comes with probiotics for gut health
- The kibble size might be a little big for some puggles
- Only comes in big bags (no small packages are available)
5. Nutri-Vet Hip & Joint Biscuits for Dogs
If your puggle is suffering from hip dysplasia, the Nutri-Vet Hip & Joint Biscuits for Dogs can be a worthy glucosamine treat for their joint problems. The biscuits are more than just rewards for a good dog – they also help with pains associated with physical activities. What’s more, the peanut butter flavor will make it easy to feed for dogs.
With 500 mg of glucosamine, this one is vet-recommended and can also be used by dogs of all ages. Senior puggles would especially benefit from this treat pack if they are suffering from arthritis and if they are also picky eaters. Since the biscuits are easy to break, they are okay to be fed for small dogs. What’s more, it will help dogs that are on a weight loss program as advised by your vet.
What the biscuits will do is help your dog’s connective tissue, cartilage, and joints to stay strong, especially if they are in their senior age. Each biscuit is 3.25 inches in size and you can order either a 4-lb. or a 6-lb. pack for your dog.
- Has glucosamine for joint health
- Great for seniors
- Ideal for picky eaters
- Easy to break for small dogs
- Good for weight loss
- You still need to mix it with regular food
- Some bags could arrive with crumbled pieces
6. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
Made with a chicken recipe, the Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food for adults is ideal for puggles due to the weight management recipe, which contains chicken and other healthy ingredients. It has no artificial flavors, synthetic colors, and preservatives. It has only 12% fat and 24% crude protein for its formulation.
If your puggle is suffering from eating issues then this is the dog food that might work for them. Aside from the fact that chicken is the first ingredient, it contains no by-products that aren’t necessary for your dog’s health. It has antioxidants, vitamin C, and vitamin E, which will boost your dog’s immune system, especially if they tend to get sick often.
The mix has natural ingredients to help with your dog’s overall health. It is made in the USA so that’s a sign of honest quality and local produce. Among the ingredients included (that we think are good for your dog’s health) are flaxseed, beet, apples, broccoli, green peas, and cranberries.
- Has antioxidants for your dog’s immune system
- Ideal for weight loss or management
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Has a small kibble size that puggles can easily eat up
- Contains fruits and vegetables for a well-balanced meal
- Not for dogs who have poultry allergies
- A little on the pricey side
7. Diamond Naturals Premium Formulas Dry Dog Food
If your dog was advised by the vet with a lamb meat diet, the Diamond Naturals Premium Formulas Dry Dog Food is a choice for you. This one comes in a lamb meal and rice formula that will help dogs such as puggles to maintain their protein needs. It also has sufficient amounts of fruits and veggies for antioxidants to improve their immunity.
What’s more, it has probiotics, which is good for puggles who have sensitive stomachs or have tummy issues. Because the company is made in the USA and a family-owned business, you can count on little to no commercial fillers – only quality ingredients without artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Among the veggies included in the mix are flaxseed, beet, peas, carrots, chicory root, kale, pumpkin, chia seeds, and spinach. It also has fruits such as blueberries, oranges, and papaya so it is a healthy combination of antioxidants. Moreover, if your dog is not so good with standard grains, it has quinoa, which is an alternative and a carbohydrate source. We also like that it has probiotics (Lactobacillus) for better digestion.
- Has probiotics
- Comes with fruits and veggies
- Lamb meat is the first ingredient
- Low on fat (14%)
- Has 23% protein
- The kibble could be too small for some dogs
- May contain less kibble for a big bag
What to Look For in Dog Food for Puggles
If you don’t know where to begin, here’s how we picked our choices above when it comes to dog food for puggles:
- Stomach-friendly ingredients. Dogs such as puggles should have access to foods that don’t contain artificial flavorings, preservatives, and the like, especially if they have sensitive stomachs. Ask your vet if your dog is allergic to certain ingredients, such as soy, eggs, dairy, gluten, or grain to avoid hurting their digestive system.
- Glucosamine. Puggles are also prone to hip dysplasia so you’ll need to feed them foods with glucosamine to keep their joints healthy and strong, especially for the seniors. Glucosamine is commonly found in grain-free dog food.
- Healthy fats. These dogs are known for eating a lot, which can lead to overweight problems. Choose foods with healthy fats only – then get them to exercise more often than you think you should.
- Calcium-rich foods. Knee problems are often found in puggles so it’s also ideal to boost their bone health by adding calcium to their diet. This is difficult to look for in dog food but there are a few out there that have at least some calcium content.
- Antioxidants. Puggles are also prone to hypothyroidism, which can be lessened with sufficient veggies and fruits that contain antioxidants. Many dog foods in the market today have these, such as those including kale, carrots, blueberries, and peas.
If you want to choose the best dog food for puggles, make sure you read the labels and check its content. You can also try asking your vet which food is recommended for them since not all puggles are the same – some have allergies while some are okay with a wide range of foods.
With that in mind, we hope that you considered any of our suggested picks above. Make sure that your puggles get plenty of exercises to avoid being overweight. The best kind of TLC for your dog is to feed them with healthy food.
2 thoughts on “Best Dog Food for Puggles of [2021 Reviews]”