Chocolate Toxicity Calculator for Pets
* Please read the additional information provided below the calculator tool
* 1 gram= 1000mg, 1 gram= 0.035 oz 1kg=2.2lbs
The pet dangerous components of chocolate that pose a risk to your dog or cat’s health are caffeine, theophylline and theobromine (Known as “methylxanthines”). These are the substances that result in what we refer to as “chocolate toxicity” syndrome or poisoning. The methylxanthines are naturally found in plants, foods, beverages, and several human and veterinary medications.
Mild reactions may be seen after ingestion of 20 mg/kg . Moderate to severe reactions may be seen at doses over 40 mg/kg. Severe reactions, seizures and death may occur at doses of over 40 – 45 mg/kg. The “LD 50″ dose refers to the dose at which half or 50% of the animals will die after ingestion or exposure (based on laboratory research). The LD50 of caffeine and theobromine in dogs and cats is 100–200 mg/kg. The LD50 for theophylline is 300 mg/kg (dogs) and 700 mg/kg (cats). However, animals can and do die from exposures well below the LD50. If in any doubt, visit your veterinarian as soon as possible!
Clinical Signs Usually occur within 6-12 hours after ingestion. These clinical signs include:
- Racing heart rhythm progressing to abnormal rhythms
- Death in severe cases
It takes nearly 4 days for the effects of chocolate to work its way out of a dog’s system. If the chocolate was only just eaten, it is possible to induce vomiting; otherwise, hospitalization and support are needed until the chocolate has worked its way out of the system.