Robitussin DM is the brand name for a drug called Dextromethorphan (with Guaifenesin) which is a non-narcotic antitussive. Can you safely administer it to your dog or cat to help relieve coughing episodes? Absolutely!
Reasons you might administer this medication to your pets:
- Helps to relieve the clinical signs (coughing) associated with kennel cough in dogs (Canine Infectious Tracheobronchitis )
- Soothes an irritated throat caused by hairballs in cats (or anything else that may upset your pets upper respiratory tract)
- Can be Used To Treat Repetitive Itching, Biting and Scratching in Atopic Dogs (allergies in dogs and cats)
- May help reduce self inflicted trauma cause by repetitive neurotic behavioral conditions (for example: acral lick dermatitis)
- Its safe, inexpensive and readily available in most home medicine cabinets
Dose for Dogs and cat is 2-4 mg per lb of body weight administered orally every 6-8 hours to control coughing.
Please remember that this medication is used to alleviate the clinical signs (coughing) and does not treat or cure the underlying cause of the problem in your pet. Always seek professional advice from your veterinarian to determine what is actually causing the coughing to occur in your dog or cat.